Alternatively, you can let our AI bot guide you on how to create a blog on WordPress.
First you need to understand what wordpress is; WordPress is a software for creating and managing content, most recently, it is now being used in creating online stores and other eCommerce websites.
Currently WordPress powers about 34% of the internet, many top websites in the world like cnn.com, vanguardngr.com all use WordPress.
There are two types of WordPress;
- WordPress.org ( Self hosted )
Difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org
A lot of people ask, what is the difference between WordPress.com and WordPress.org? here is a simple explanation. Hope it helps?
WordPress.com takes care of all of the hosting for you. You don’t have to download software, pay for hosting, or manage a web server. but you will have lesser control and your site will now be ending with “.wordpress.com”
With WordPress.org, you can host your own blog or website. WordPress.org is where you’ll find the free software that you can download and install on your own.
Using self hosted WordPress opens up more control, flexibility and better design of your site. This is why it is highly recommended.
To create your self hosted site ( WordPress.org ), you will be needing a domain name and a hosting.
A domain name is a unique name that people will use to access your site from their browser; example, the domain name for this site is adsensefix.com.
A hosting is storage space where you can upload images, text and documents from your site.
There are lots of places where you can purchase a domain and hosting but I recommend using Qservers.
Qservers is a reliable Nigerian hosting and domain name provider. I have been using Qservers.net for the past 3 years now and one thing I like about their service is that it is relatively cheaper when compared to other services and their renewal price is the same for every year.
- No dubious renewal price.
- Qservers credits your account with 500 Naira once you sign up
- They offer their basic hosting + Free .com.ng domain + SSL certificate for just 3600 Naira. Cool right?
- And you can even get it cheaper than 3,600 Naira with their promo code.
How to purchase hosting and Domain from Qservers
- Visit Qservers
- Proceed to Order Now
Choose a hosting plan
In choosing a hosting plan, a lot of things need to be put into consideration which will depend on how much you have, how many sites you will be hosting and the storage space.
For bloggers, it is recommended you use the Starter Park which is relatively cheaper.
- Proceed to Order Now
Register a domain name
The next step is to register a domain name.
On the domain search bar, enter the name you want to use for your site without spaces and proceed to continue.
Note: You can register com.ng, .net.ng, .org.ng, .i.ng, .name.ng, .mobi.ng, .sch.ng for free
- Proceed to Continue
- Enter your details, email Address and Password to create an account.
- Proceed to checkout
Install a Free SSL Certificate
Qservers gives you a free SSL certificate you can use to encrypt and secure your site. See How you can Install Free SSL certificate on Qservers.
How to Install WordPress on Qservers
After completing the purchase of your hosting and domain. You can now install WordPress blog on your hosting cpanel.
- Login to your Qservers account
- On your client Area, Proceed to your active products/services
(Linux web hosting starter park)
- Login to cpanel
- On the cpanel, Locate WordPress on Softaculous App installer tab
- Click on Install now
- Choose domain to install WordPress, leave in directory empty
- Fill in site name, site description. Setup username, password and admin email
- Proceed to Install
Congratulations, the software was installed successfully. You can go ahead to login to your WordPress dashboard
How to Design your New WordPress site
After you have successfully installed WordPress, the next thing to do is to design your site by with a good theme.
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard
- At the left hand corner of your admin dashboard, locate Themes>> Click on Add new
Here you can choose any theme you like, I recommend using “Hitmag” or “MH Magazine“, they are both powerful free blogging themes.
Plugins are used to add extra function to your WordPress site. Let say you want to display your social media pages on your site, you will need a “Social Media Plugin”.
- To add a plugin to your site, at the left hand corner of your admin dashboard, locate Plugins>> Click on Add new
- Install the 10 recommended WordPress Plugins
Create your first post
You can go ahead to create your first blog post and publish it for everyone to read.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard
- At the left hand corner of your admin dashboard, locate Post>> Click on Add new
- Add Post title and Content
- Then hit Publish
Now you have created a WordPresss site, it is not going to be easy managing the site especially if you are new to WordPress. There are still other things you need to put into consideration like your SEO. Meanwhile you can message me on Whatsapp if you have any issue relating to your site. It is totally free.